A heart is the body organ that defines the existence of any living being on this earth mentally as well as physically. Mental presence is the activeness of the body; good and strong-hearted living beings tend to live a blissful life. A dog’s heart is full of their parent’s memories and joyous times with respect and love they wish to shower on them whole day long.
As a pet-parent, the least you can do is to keep your dog’s heart safe and protected. Heartgard Plus is a trending treatment that ensures the safety of your pooch from the pernicious heartworms. Heartworms are the only existing threat to the heart of the canines. This fatal disease is a result of a mosquito bite that carries the infection.
The organ that keeps your pooch alive has all the right to be safeguarded. Heartgard Plus is an effective and an efficient treatment that comes in an oral chew form and prevents heartworm infections. The oral form of medication is beef-flavored and is savored by the dogs. This lessens the burden on the pet-parents to make their pooches intake a medication.
Heartgard Plus is a broad spectrum preventive as well as a remedy for several worms that resides in the canine’s body. Apart from killing off the juvenile stages of heartworm and eradicating the growth of larva into adult heartworms, Heartgard Plus also prevents worm infestations and is effective against hookworms and roundworms. The chew consists of a known ingredient – Ivermectin.
Ivermectin is a broad-spectrum antiparasitic agent that aids in preventing heartworm infections. It destroys the heartworm larvae, controls them from growing into adult stage, and secures the pets. The other active ingredient present in the treatment is Pyrantel Pamoate, which eliminates roundworms and hookworms. It paralyzes the central nervous system of the intestinal worms and kills them eventually.
The powerful preventive does come with certain safety rules and instructions. Following the package instructions and directions of use is always a recommended action even by the vet. Some safety measures are as given below:
- Heartgard Plus is a preventive program so start only when there is no heartworm infection. For confirmation, test your pooch for existing heartworm infection.
- The tablets should be chewed and not swallowed by the dog.
- Don’t skip providing Heartgard in winter months, as there are chances of infestations in these months as well.
- If the dosage is missed for more than two months, consult a veterinarian for the further treatment process.
- A monthly treatment that must be given to the dogs at the same time every month.
- Should not be administered on puppies less than 6 weeks of age.
To make it easier to purchase this medication, it has been released in color-coded packs depending on the weight of the dog. Easily administrable chews are given to dogs as a treat.
- Heartgard Plus chewables for small dogs up to 25 lbs – Blue
- Heartgard Plus chewables for medium dogs between 26-50 lbs – Green
- Heartgard Plus chewables for large dogs between 51-100 lbs – Brown
The safety and suitability of this oral chew is by far the best as it is safe for puppies, adult dogs and pregnant dogs as well.