Fleas and ticks have always been the reason for pain in dogs and cats. These parasites cause a ruckus in rather peaceful lives of pets by infecting them with several diseases and skin conditions like Flea Allergy Dermatitis, skin infections, reddened skin, damages and scratched skin, hotspots, Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Babesiosis, and many more.
Therefore, as a pet parent, you need to be aware and ready to keep your pet safe from these parasites. Read below to know more about the parasites and how to save your pets from them.
What are Ticks?
Ticks are similar to fleas. However, they crawl rather than jump. It attaches itself to the pet’s skin and starts sucking blood and other skin fluids. Ticks don’t cause pets to scratch as fleas do. They usually seem like very little watermelon seeds with legs.
Diseases from Ticks
There are plenty of diseases that ticks will carry, and plenty of them are very serious ones. However, they don’t typically transmit them unless they’ve bitten you hard enough that their heads stick into your skin. And they are extremely arduous to pull out.
Some diseases ticks will carry are Lyme disease, Babesiosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever disease, and Ehrlichiosis. Plenty of the symptoms of these diseases will masquerade as alternative diseases and ignoring them may be dangerous. You ought to acquaint yourself with those tick-borne diseases, their symptoms, and their diagnosis. Moreover, you should get your dog vaccinated for Lyme disease.
What are Fleas?
Fleas are tiny biting bugs. They seem like moving flax seeds and it’s terribly onerous to catch them because they jump very fast and not to forget, they cover a long distance!
Diseases from Fleas
There are not many diseases you’ve got to stress about concerning fleas. However, infestations of them will cause severe itching, hair loss in pets, temporary state, irritability, and a few pets may well be allergic to them.
HOWEVER, your pets will get tapeworms by licking flea-infested things (like their own coat). Worms will cause plenty of issues in pets, like looseness of the bowels, lethargy, itchy butt, weight loss, poor hair and skin condition, and irritability.
How to Save Your Pet from Fleas and Ticks?
- If your puppy or kitten is just too young for flea and tick treatment, don’t take them to the woods or densely inhabited areas.
- Vacuuming your house is the best way to deal with flea eggs and flea larvae to prevent re-infestations. Vacuum in hot weather or if your pet is frequently going out.
- Apply flea and tick preventatives and treatment on a regular basis i.e. monthly.
- Groom your dog or cat often – particularly if they have been outdoors for a short or long time or in the hilly and bushy areas. Check their ears and their inner thighs for black flea dirt or ticks.
- Don’t let your dog or cat lick different animals that may be plagued with fleas.
- Kill any ticks you discover by suffocating them by folding a tape over them or put them in alcohol. Ticks have an associate body covering that makes it difficult to kill them.
- If you think that your house is plagued with fleas, or has been subject to a flea-infested animal, do the subsequent: Vacuum the floors and your upholstery associated with plagued animals. Wash your pet’s bed and groom them – checking for ticks and fleas dirt.
- Lemon juice will kill fleas on contact. Wipe some juice over your dog’s coat.
- Protect your dogs and cats by employing a methodology of tick and flea treatment that is suitable to your lifestyle.
- Topical treatments are typically cheaper. However, they will be ineffective for dogs that love to swim or bathe every day.
- Oral treatments are waterproof and there are no restrictions on swimming, bathing or playing with kids.
Here are some examples of best flea and tick treatments that are recommended unanimously by pet parents and Vets throughout the country.
Tasty oral beef-flavored chew that kills fleas and different types of ticks like Black-legged tick, American dog ticks, and brown dog ticks. The chew is only available for dogs.
Safe for – puppies 8 weeks of age and more
Efficacy – Works for an entire month, it starts showing its effect within 8 hours of administration and kills 100% fleas & ticks within 48 hours of administration.
Ingredient – Afoxolaner
Manufacturer – Merial / Boehringer Ingelheim
PS- You can buy Nexgard Spectra if you also want to treat intestinal worms – roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms and prevent heartworms.
A topical treatment that is in the market for over a decade. Frontline plus treats fleas and ticks by contact. Hence, it spares your pet from the pain of biting fleas and ticks.
Safe for – Puppies & kitten 8 weeks and older
Efficacy – Kills all life stages of parasites for 4 months continuously and wipes 100% fleas in 12 hours of administration and ticks within 48 hours of administration.
Ingredients – Fipronil & (S)-methoprene
Manufacturer – Merial / Boehringer Ingelheim
There are other products like Seresto flea and tick collar for dogs, Seresto flea collar for cats, Bravecto, Revolution, Advantage, and Capstar. These products are effective in the treatment of fleas and ticks. However, some of the mentioned products only treat fleas but Bravecto, Revolution, and Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for dogs eradicate both fleas and ticks.
To save your pet from these nasty creatures, ensure you opt for the above-mentioned treatments because fleas and ticks won’t ask you before infesting. They will just hop on and create a nuisance in you and your pet’s life.